Please go to local Chinese embassy to apply for study visa and make sure to apply for a study visa (X visa) for studying in China. The X1 visa is a long-term convertible visa and must be converted into a residence permit within 30 days after entering China. The X2 visa is a short-term non-convertible visa. A holder of such visa is only allowed to go to China and back once and stay in China for 180 days at most. Therefore, if you will study in China for more than 180 days, you need to apply for X1 visa (residence permit); if less than 180 days, you need to apply for X2 visa.


The materials for visa application usually include:

  • One original and one photocopy of passport (Please make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months and has blank visa pages.)

  • One original and one photocopy of Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (JW 201 or JW 202)

  • One original and one photocopy of Admission Notice issued by the Chinese college/university

For more details, please visit the following website:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China:

China Consular Service:

*An international student must hold a Study Visa (X visa). If a Tourist visa ( L Visa) holder wants to convert it to study visa after he/she enters the country, he/she may be required to re-enter after leaving China. Therefore, this practice is not recommended.